More about this Producer
The Donissan de Citran family ruled this estate in the 13th century until 1832, when the last heir had to sell the estate to Mr. Clauzel. This rich, ambitious businessman defined the property’s boundaries and gave Château Citran to prominence among the Medoc estates.
The Miailhe family bought the property in 1945 and undertook a renovation programme until 1987. Then, a Japanese group acquired the property and made major investments. This marks the resurrection of this great growth of Médoc !
In 1996, the Merlaut family, a major actor of the Bordeaux wine industry, took over Citran. They kept on increasing the quality of growth and developed its renown while respecting its history. Highly lauded, the Château is designated a historical monument heritage in 2012.
Each plot benefits from a specific treatment appropriate for its environment. Some are grown the traditional way: the soil is worked on mechanically and the phytosanitary treatments are standard. Others are covered with sowed vegetation every to spaces between rows, so as to improve the soil’s layout. Eventually, one third of the vineyard is organically grown.
At Citran, we pay a particular attention to vineyard observation. A great renovation programme has been conducted for several years, have enabled some of the parcels to benefit from a better amount of sunshine by means of rows reorientation . The vineyard, more than 100ha wide, comprises two large parcels : one around the Château, and the other, a little further up, surrounds the village.
Major plantation works have been conducted.
|Country of Origin||France|
|Visit Vineyard Website|